At Serendipity Learning Art Lessons focus on six key points:
- The student is the artist
- Students control the subject matter, materials, approach
- Student belief drives the work
- Students are self-motivated
- Experimentation and ‘mistakes’ are honoured
- Problem solving is encouraged and celebrated
Serendipity Learning Senior Art Class will focus on choice-based art education, offering students real choices for responding to their own ideas and interests through the making of art. Lessons may concentrate on skill building, while others will be designed to encourage imagination and creativity. Others yet may emphasize learning the design principles, art elements (structure of art) or art history and analysis.
By supporting multiple modes of learning and meaningfully engaging students based on their diverse individual needs, Art Lessons will incorporate:
- How to maintain a Visual Arts Process Diary / journals / sketchbooks
- Developing work in portfolios
- Encouraging independent thinking, persistence and risk-taking, all qualities valued by practicing artists.
- Introducing something new every week, even though some art works will take much longer to complete as the students work independently.
- Students working at their own pace. Some students may work on a painting or drawing for four or five weeks while others may create a small artwork each week. They have the opportunity to try something over and over again, leading to mastery. They may also choose to bring in a piece from school to work on.
- How to look at an object and see it like an artist – with a conscious awareness of its composition, outline, shape, proportions, tone, color, texture and form.
- Art history in order to show students the wealth of styles and creativity through the ages with a focus on the NSW Creative Arts Syllabus for year 7-12
Our Teacher Penelope is passionate about providing children with the skill set to successfully use different art mediums, enabling them to see and interpret their world and experiences through creativity in art.